September 11, 2013

Facades









Who can't help but fall in love with the cockeyed canal houses of Amsterdam? While strolling the streets, I saw numerous sofas being hoisted through windows, hanging from a hook on a wonderfully ornate gable. When I arrived with my enormous suitcase in tow, I laughed when I opened the front door to the apartment I was staying in and wondered how in the world I was going to get up the most narrow staircase I had ever encountered. Very carefully and sideways, as it turned out.

Interesting fact: the houses are narrow because property taxes were based on the width of the house, so people built them narrow, deep, and tall. 

10 comments:

tinajo said...

Cute houses and great captures!

Lyle @ The Joy of Simple said...

What an interesting display!! Goes to show you I guess that home truly is where the heart is :)

Thanks for the quirky look Irene.

Lyle

Mary said...

I love such houses, amazing. :)

Anonymous said...

So beautiful houses and the thanks for the interesting story behind.

Kelven said...

Beautiful! You're making me really miss Europe

Anonymous said...

awwww such beautiful!

Jennifer Squires said...

I love hearing tales of how different communities evade taxes! Thanks for sharing!

whiteboard animation videos said...

Great picture.I like it.Good job keep it up

Laura said...

Awesome pictures ! What type of camera do you use ?

faye angel said...

I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read . I learn new information from your article , you are doing a great job telldunkin